Friday, September 24, 2010

Moonlit Percheron | Ruth Soller - Blog

Moonlit Percheron Ruth Soller - Blog

My artistic mentor Michael Ome Untiedt has been working on nocturnal western landscapes and suggested that I might like to study Frederic Remington's nocturnal works. In this painting I challenged myself to create a "negative" view of my previous painting Out of the Mist. First, I flipped the image and printed out the negative version of Out of the Mist. This came out really weird, as if the light source was to the left and beneath the horse; not exactly what I had in mind. So, I was working much from imagination in creating a background with the moon as the light source and the horse being backlit by moonlight. My goal was to keep the background colors close to the same value, on my grey scale between a 3 and a 5 value. I think the result is pleasing. What are your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment